Thursday, April 11, 2013

Mason 365: Day 16

Booked

Spring Book Fair

Buy One Get One Free!

We Bought 8,
because we owned no books already.


At the book fair.
I was the only one there taking pictures.
They're a little blurry,
but somehow that kind of suits us.


Book Mania!


I have no idea what Julianne's doing in this picture,
but she looks a bit like my Grandma.

Typical Washa Family Photo:
Two kids are reading, one is crying, and one just looks kind of crazy...

...great, but for the dog tail covering the baby's face.
'Cause who wants a picture of a precious little munchkin
when you could have a nice shot of dog bum instead...

...could be worse...

I just love shots of Corinnie.
She is perpetually adorable.
She even looks gorgeous when she's screeching.

...baby looks like he's popping out of his clothes...
crazy dog face...

Books that come with 3D glasses = 5-year-old boy magnets

Books that come with Disney Princess stickers = 3-year-old girl magnets

Monster Truck 3D Glasses


Oh, did I tell you or did I tell you?
If you can rock Monster Truck 3D glasses,
you can rock anything.



One of our bookshelves at home.
(We have another full one upstairs.)
This was my bookshelf when I was a kid.
It's kind of tough to photograph because it's hidden behind the loveseat.
The kids sneak back there to get a book like it's a lair.
Sometimes they even stretch a blanket between the loveseat and bookshelf to "build a fort."

I try to let some books move on any time we get new ones
(which is pretty much all the time)
but we're getting down to the point where we love every last one.


It's okay though.
I'd much MUCH rather have a million books than a million of anything else,
including dollars.



This about sums it up.
(I didn't write it. I don't like tea enough.)



True Story:
I'm more than a little terrified of the idea that print is a dying medium.
I love books so much - 
the soft, pretty covers...
the crack of the binding...
the beautiful illustrations...
the way chapters actually end.
When I read stuff online, something about it just feels unfinished.
When you finish a book, you close it, you tuck it away in a special place for later.
When you go back for it,
it feels kind of like visiting an old friend.
When you finish reading something on the internet, it just ends.
You close it out.
It's like that Seinfeld where Jerry talks about how ungratifying it is to 
hang up on someone via cordless phone versus the old fashioned way.
X-ing out just doesn't do it for me.

I admit I'm a little devastated any time one of the kids' books falls  completely apart.
I always try to buy it back, like we can't live without it.
If we had to part with our house (which I also love) for some reason
and I could only save two things apart from my family and pets
those things would be my pictures 
(all hundred million of them on the portable hard drive
I made Zach buy me because I couldn't bear the thought of losing a single one)
and my books.
It's hard to let go of old friends.

If print dies in my lifetime,
whatever's left of it can always take refuge here at the 
Washa Safe House
Literature Always Welcome
No Pages, No Binding, No Problem



3 comments:

  1. I agree.. Books are very important in my house and in the rest of my families houses.. Please.tell me you weren't at the book fair yourself.. How do u push a Stroller n carry a car seat? Ur super mom for sure! Id love 4.kids but wow I don't know how you do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm convinced and comforted that children are what will keep the book alive. Picture books, touch and feel books, pop-up books, cloth books...a computer/kindle will never do that. So the book will live on forever, at least for children. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you have no idea. I've reached a whole new level of crazy independent. I hang the car seat over one arm and push the stroller with both hands, relying heavily on the hand that doesn't have 50 or so pounds worth of car seat draped over it. This technique works with a regular stroller, but it takes a little more elbow grease than the umbrella variety - it's been a major lifesaver. Julianne walks and, in this case, Logan was already at the school (that's where the book fair was.) I got Logan to push the stroller on the way back out to the car.
    The other night we were at a dinner and I had to carry two plates so I pushed the stroller with my hips. That was first for me, but I'm definitely keeping it in my back pocket for emergencies.
    I have yet to make my first solo Wisconsin to PA trip with all 4 kids, but I made the first solo trip with 3 kids when Corinne was only a week old. It turned out alright, but I wouldn't recommend it.
    The worst is walking up to take communion with Mason in the car seat and Corinne in my arms. They are SO heavy and standing in line holding heavy stuff is definitely not my idea of a good time. I've been asked a couple of times at church if I'm a military wife. Nope. Just a work widow :) There ought to be some kind of a discount for that...

    And Lauren, I saw something on tv the other day about how computers will eventually become smarter than us and take over the world. I MUCH prefer your prediction :)

    ReplyDelete